Running like dogs

Thursday, January 6, 2011




Not the kind of story one usually admits to but as a kid while tagging along with my veterinarian dad when visiting farms or ranches - if there were dogs there to be had, of all of us kids they would often find me - cover me with licks, knock me over, chase me around and cause in this kid anyway an early onset love/hate relationship with dogs.

I was about seven or eight when dad hopefully meaning it as a kind of comical reassurance said, "Sweetie don't take this the wrong way but I think in another life you were a dog".

Thank goodness I was only seven or eight and not the awkward thirteen or I may have never recovered from the comparison.


I now pretty much completley love dogs and while my Lucky will run like the wind chasing cattle he is not a good runners dog. Unlike Team Lucca's Rosie girl who Emily adopted about a year ago and who accompanied us on runs along the trail as part of her, learning to behave with humans process. Then there is the famous Bolt, who trains with Karyn H. on all her endurance runs. Craig's dogs, Jerry Lee and Nadine make me feel like a cartoon character as they do not run with you, you instead run with them whether you are capable or not at about a 7 min mile pace.

Watching a dog running in the rain is like watching an unabashed furr ball of joy on four legs.


So sometimes you have to think like a dog. With that said, if you are not running at this time of the year, you are really missing out. There is something so sublime about running in the rain. This here right now, is perfect running weather. Wait until July and you will find yourself longing for these mother nature provided cooling mist nornings where you can sink into your own little silvery world in shrouds of fog of rain.


So bring your dog or just yourself and come join us this Sunday morning 9:00 am, back up on the levy for our first 2011 group run.

Rain or shine we will be there.


Two suggestions for this winter of 2011, plan on running at least once in the rain and if you ever get a chance watch this little gem of a movie titled, "My life as a dog" made in Sweden in 1985 by Lasse Hallstrom. It is a rare and precious heartbreakingly hysterical portrayel of the hopes and longings of one little boy.

0 comments: