Becky MacBride: Team Lucca Featured Runner

Thursday, July 30, 2009


I started running in high school for sports and HATED it at first, (I was walking a 15min. mile for the presidential fitness testing) but after a couple of weeks I really got into it. I think I was surprised at how easy it was and I loved the solitude. I have some really good memories of dealing with teenage angst by pulling on my sneaks and grabbing my walkman and taking off around my neighborhood. HA! ooh! that gave me a song idea...anyway, I got out of it in college and only recently picked it back up to get rid of baby weight. but all that I loved about it came back quickly - the solitude, knowing I was doing one thing good for myself a day, sense of accomplishment, and the power of mind over body.
The first race I did was the Thanksgiving walk/run to feed the hungry 10k this past fall and I was hooked even more. I'm a born competitor and running past people was just awesome! plus I did it with some friends who were first timers too and it was just incredible to share the accomplishment with them. I had been running for 9 months when I did that race. My favorite race has been the Carlsbad 1/2 marathon. The course was beautiful - almost entirely along the ocean, and it was the first time I'd ever run that far. Even when training, I think I topped off at 10miles, so the last 3.1 were...interesting. But I did it with my dad and it was just so exhilarating. and I ran it really well, just like I planned it out. It would have been nice to have slept the night before but...
motivation...well, on the last mile of the Alzheimer's race I decided I'd never run again. HA! ugh, I did not feel well at all during that run!
Right now, qualifying for boston is my big motivator, so I guess future goals really keep me going. I always feel I can do better, I can get faster, stronger, (thinner ; ) ! ).
Having a great run inspires me - that day I did 8 miles in an hour with Rick, which I still can't believe, is in my mind a lot when I run, and I think I'm a bit of a show-off, but more shyly these days.
Doing well in a race satisfies my middle child syndrome and my mommy wall flower...does that make sense?! Also, running with you guys has really given me the structure to push myself and do the training seriously, which makes any running goal much more attainable. and running with a team, the communal part of it, feels good - watching each others improvement, getting excited for and with each other on race days. it's been awesome and I really want to thank you Terri for signing me up because I never would have done it!

0 comments: