Begin Again: The Birth of a Runner

Thursday, July 30, 2009


Undoubtedly, one of my favorite things about Team Lucca over the past seven years has been, each year as we begin again, seeing new team members participate in a race for the first time and in doing so, begin to anticipate those who will become hooked- those who will become real runners.


Last weekend, Patrick, who has been running with Team Lucca for 6 years and is one of our strongest runners, ran the Alzhemier's Aid race alongside his girlfriend, Ariana. Ariana ran with Team Lucca for the first time. It matters not to me the time they crossed the finish line. What mattered to me was the huge smile on Arianna's face when she crossed that finish line.


I was thrilled to hear also this week, how my drop dead gorgeous, could be a fitness model, friend, Spominka, recently ran a race for the first time. I have tried on many occasion, to suggest to Spominka that she take her running from the treadmill onto a race course.

She did this spring and in doing so, this super fit, 41 year old, mother of two, ran her first race ever a 10k, and under 9 minutes per mile.


In my mind, a runner is not necessarily always the one who runs far or fast, not the person defined by the years they have commited to running or who runs a pace less than 9 minutes per mile, not the lady or the guy with the best pair of runing shoes or fanciest GPS watch.

A runner in my mind, is someone who passionatly pursues running to the best of their ability.

With me, if you love to run and stick with it, you are a runner.


It has been a thrill this past year to see Team Lucca runners like Dale and Becky, Phoebe and Craig, stick with a training agenda and improve in leaps and bounds because of it.


In order to see something through, you have to make a commitment. That commitment then requires effort. Sometimes that effort is getting up early when you would rather sleep in, running in the heat of the day because it is the only time you have to give to running on that day, forcing yourself onto the track for grueling speedwork.

The pay off, well those of you that run, know. The benefit of running to me is immense.

The effort to me is immense as well, sometimes.


One of my favorite running motivators is that good old Nike motto. "Just do it".

Don't contemplate it. Don't rationalize it. Don't overthink it. Don't give the mind the opportunity to talk yourself out of it.

Just lace up those shoes and go.


We start half marathon training this saturday with a goal of racing in the Sacramento CowTown Half Marathon on Oct. 4th.

Emily will be helping me coach those of you that are interested in Team Lucca training. I will continue with Saturday mornings and Em will provide a weekday training opportunity, probably tues or wed evenings. Both will most likely start along the river under the Howe bridge


I look forward to seeing you on Saturday. Remember lace up those shoes and just do it.

Terri


1 comments:

running...out of steam said...

Hi everyone!

I'll be at McKinley Park Wed. morning at 5:30(am) for a workout AND 5:30(pm) at the Howe avenue access to the bike trail.
~emily