Wednesday, November 18, 2009


Emily T and the NYC Marathon

Em, what was the absolute best part of the race?

The best part about NYC marathon is the support from the city & touring NY in that unique way! It seemed to me that just everyone was out cheering, whether they knew people or not! I got to see every borough & the people out representing their neighborhoods. It was so cool!

I hear it is quite the spectacle at times. What is the craziest thing you saw during the race?

The craziest thing I saw while running was at the beginning. I was standing in my wave corral & over the fence I saw a replica of the Eiffel tower moving through the crowd. I can't be sure if this person ran while wearing it but I would be extra impressed if they did. Of course, there were also tons of people in costumes (it was the day after Halloween). I saw Capt. America & some other super hero. Quite a few people in animal costumes. Julie got a picture of a 'Hulk Hogan' & a guy running as a waiter. Pretty funny stuff!

Did you hear how many people participated and how crowded did it all seem?

The crowds? Oh, there were soooo many people. I didn't feel like it thinned out at all. There were always people around me, but I think because of the new starting system they instigated, it helped spread people out a little bit. I would say that the ferry ride from Manhattan to Staten Island was probably the most 'crowded' feeling, as everyone wanted to be sure they were on the boat!! The total entries were 44,177 with 43,983 finishing. The marathon itself gets over 100,00 applicants each year!

What did you eat the night before and what did you have to celebrate after?

I had lemon dill salmon, coucous & broccoli for dinner. I carb loaded the night before. Sometimes too much pasta before a race (for me) makes me feel bloated. I typically go with what works. I like a bit of protein, some carbs and always veggies=) After the race, I celebrated by not throwing up (YAY me!) & had an Odwalla chocolate protein shake & then some pizza from Big Nick's in the Upper West side of Manhattan. Then, when I got back to my cousin's, I had an ice bath & some red wine!!

Would you do it all over again?

I would absolutely do it again! I think it would be even more fun if I was doing it with people I knew!! Hint hint, nudge, nudge;)

Congratulations Emily from all of us at Team Lucca on an excellent race.

You are a rock star of a runner an inspirational coach and we all just

love you to pieces!






0 comments: