New York City Marathon, Running in the Fall and Pumpkin Pancakes

Sunday, November 1, 2009






So it is that fall is upon us with some of the best running weather of the year.
This morning I run along thinking of Emily, hoping she is doing well, hoping she is finding some joy in her quest of completing the New York City Marathon.
An event she is competing in this morning.

Emily is a coach with Team Lucca. She is the one that drives the effort of those with the big goals, the half marathon, the marathon and tri sports. So I run along like a nervous little mother on this early Sunday morning after Halloween, kicking out three miles, thinking if I were Em I would only have to throw down 23 more, waiting anxiously to hear that she made it, that she did well, that she is happy.

My other thoughts this morning move to the book I am currently reading “The art of racing in the rain”. A sweet book, with the narrative given by a dog.
Which makes me think of dogs and their highly attuned sense of smell.
One of the things I love about running or riding my bike along the trail are the smells. The heady smell of anise, the most divinely floral smell around mile 11 in the springtime, my favorite smell in the world, eucalyptus. Ron always laughs and knows whenever we are driving somewhere when I stick my head out the window ( like a dog) that we are approaching a grove of eucalyptus trees. I love when it rains just a little and layer upon layer of earthy smells abound that stir the primitive in my brain into wistful memories of what it must have been like to live surrounded by nature.

One theory on why our sense of smell is so diminished compared to a dogs is that when we developed higher thinking, something had to give. If all of our senses were so acute the powerful distraction would create a sensory overload, constantly crowding out our ability to focus.
Which now moves my thoughts to another sense, taste. Today the time changed and I realize I will have to wait even longer after this run for our Sunday ritual of actually sitting down in our restaurant to eat. I love breakfast at Roxy. While not a big pancake fan, Danny has added seasonal pumpkin pancakes as an addition to the menu on Sundays. They are delicious.

Which brings me back to Emily, who I know is sufficing on Gu gel or jelly beans or whatever other assortment of food energy she has chosen to get her through those 26 miles.

I am so proud to know someone like Emily.
I love that she has worked so hard toward this dream of hers.
Yesterday when out riding my bike on the trail I ran into our mutual friends Karyn and JoAnne. Two amazing ladies training for next months Ironman in Cozumel.
When talking about their great endeavor and Emily’s Marathon, Karyn, who seems to know everyone on the trail, said she is always so happy to see anyone out there running five miles, running two miles, for heavens sake walking one.
Anything that makes someone healthier physically or mentally is a great endeavor.

It is a constant in the media, this talk of fixing our country's health care problems.
It is a prevalent response to look at ways to treat the symptoms, high medical bills, overcrowding in hospitals, unaffordable health insurance.
I, myself, am all for the focus being first and foremost on treating the universal disease.
As a country we need to find the means to live a healthier life style.

Running is just one suggestion.

Way to go Emily !

Can’t wait to hear all about it..

Stay tuned as next week Emily will be reporting on her time in New York.



2 comments:

running...out of steam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
running...out of steam said...

LOVE it! i'm a clif shot blok kinda gal! i've never been able to stomach the Gu, but to each their own